Tuesday, July 1, 2008

6/24/08-6/30/08

6/24/08 - Tonight there was a parade in NE Minneapolis that I took Lijah too. I have been wanting to go the past two years but it has always been too hot out. But tonight there was a nice breeze, and I had gotten off of work a bit early so there was no reason not to go. Plus Lijah is at an age where he could actually enjoy it. So we got out the wagon and make the trek down 6 blocks.....
We got there right when it started and sat on the middle median at about 27th and Central. Some of the lineup Lijah really liked:
1. Lions Club of Northeast Minneapolis: They had a bunch of old cars with funky horns and a few cars with big lions roaring.
2. Zuhrah Shrine Cycle Corps.: Motorcycles
3. Accordion Playing Gorilla on Skates: Enough said.....
4. Zuhrah Flyers: They had little cars with helicopter looking blades on top.
5. Zuhrah Shrine Cobra Corps: These were some very stinky go-kart cars. I thought they were a bit scary because they kept spinning out and almost tipping over.
6. Fairview Clinics - Columbia Park Medical Center: Because they gave him a jump rope and a bag (which he immediately opened and put on his head over and over).
We also got alot of other free stuff/junk: 2 pencils, a lot of candy, 2 coupons for free haircuts at Aveda, 3 Aveda samples, 2 coupons for free rides at Nickelodeon Universe, coupons, hand sanitizer and sunscreen that you clip onto your bag, and some peanuts. I thought for sure that Lijah would cause a big stink and now sit in the wagon on the ride home, but he actually did pretty well. He was whiney when we first left, but once we got on the sidewalk he plopped right into the wagon and played with his new jumprope the whole way home. The walk home was a bit harder then the way there, being pregnant and tired, dragging a 28.12 pound kid behind me..... I should have seen this coming, but at about 11pm Lijah woke up freaking out. I am assuming he had some sort of nightmare, probably prompted by the parade, or maybe the scary clown that was in the parade. I went in to check on him and he was sopping wet and freaking out so I let him sleep with me. He's not so little anymore though and sleeping with me is getting tougher and tougher as he becomes more of a bed hog.....


6/25/08 - Lijah had his 2 year scheduled doctor visit today and Jason came with. He didn't need any shots this time, just a finger prick to test for lead levels (required by the state). Everything went well and Lijah didn't cry at the normal things he cries at: mainly having to lay down on the weight table and get his height. I think he is just more curious about what is going on now than scared. Everything seems to be going good for him - although we are going to take him to the eye specialist again to make sure his vision is developing properly with his droopy eyelid, and we need to make sure he is saying more words by this fall. If he doesn't start talking the school system will come out to the house once a week for speech therapy. But she said to make a list of all the words he says and check again in a month and a few more should be added. Then by fall he should be saying more 2-word combos..... At the end when they pricked his finger the nurse had me hold his arm down 'to control him', but he ended up sitting very calmly through the whole thing and I think he actually enjoyed watching her squeeze out his blood and put it into the tube. Jason waited in the waiting room when this part was happening. Lijah was very excited to go out and show dad his band-aid when he was done.


6/28/08 – We noticed that our favorite garage sale was happening again this year so we got up early to go to it. There is a house a block down that has all kinds of little boy toys and brand name clothes for super cheap. They usually have the sale in May and September so I was sad when May came and went and there was no sale….. So off we went, hoping to get another huge bag-load of new clothes for Lijah, but were utterly disappointed when we got there. I think we bought out all of their clothes last fall because they had hardly any clothes….. We did end up getting some Cars slippers and a new train toy, but that was it. Then at 11am I had an engagement photo shoot scheduled at the Walker Art Center Sculpture Gardens. I was a little worried because it was raining when we left but once we got there it was great weather (not too sunny, cool, with a nice breeze). Jason and Lijah came along with to run around while I was doing the shoot. I even managed to get a few cool shots of the two of them together. The shoot turned out great as well – I was able to edit some of the pictures during Lijah's nap. Then we had the missionaries from church over for dinner. We barbequed burgers and turkey brats (and a veggie burger for me), had potato salad, asparagus, corn on the cob, cherries, and juice.


6/29/08 – Today before church Lijah insisted that he hold my hand while he ate breakfast. How sweet is that? I couldn't resist because it was just so sweet…..
~After church me and my visiting teaching companion went and visited another sister from our ward and had a lesson for her on the pre-mortal existence and why it is important to know about it. Here's a few parts that I shared that I really like….. Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught: " . . . You were taught and prepared for the circumstances you would personally encounter in mortality. . . . Your memory of premortal life would be kept from you to assure that it would be a valid test, but there would be guidance given to show you how to live." I like that this quote teaches us that we were individually prepared for our specific circumstances that we would face in this life. We were not 'in general' prepared or all prepared in the same manner, but were specifically prepared for what we would individually face. I don't know about you but this brings me peace in knowing that I am prepared to go through all of the trials that I face and that if I seek it out I will be given guidance to show me how to get through those trials..... President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985 taught): "If we looked at mortality as the whole of existence, then pain, sorrow, failure, and short life would be calamity. But if we look upon life as an eternal thing stretching far into the premortal past and on into the eternal post-death future, then all happenings may be put in proper perspective" This is also something that I think about often. It is easy to get wrapped up in the day to day life and worry about what's happening around us. But most of the times that I find myself wrapped up in these things I realize that I am thinking in terms of mortality, and not in terms of eternity. If I really sit down and think about my trials and troubles in the big eternal picture, they seem less 'big' and less scary - and that allows me to deal with them more efficiently.
~Later in the evening Jason and I went for a walk with Lijah in the wagon. I didn't have any pockets so I asked Jason to put my chewed gum (wrapped in the wrapper) in his pocket. Well, he slipped the gum in the wagon instead. When we got home we were sitting in the living room Jason noticed that Lijah was 'looking pretty cool'….and he was chewing the gum, and the wrapper. We were surprised that he was chewing it right and not swallowing it. Nevertheless, we took it away…..


6/30/08 – This morning I took my 3-hour glucose test…and failed it. So now I have the gestational diabetes again. But I did not fail the test as miserably as I did with Lijah's pregnancy so maybe I will have an easier time controlling it this time around (I'm crossing my fingers). For the fasting test my blood sugar needed to be below 95, and mine was 94. After drinking the glucose, and waiting an hour, my blood sugar should have been below 180 and mine was 189. Then after another hour it should have been under 155 and mine was 156. So I failed by one number! But I guess it is better to go ahead with the diet than not…so I'll just have to do it. On the upside, I will probably weigh less again after I have the baby – so there is a bright side. And I have been wanting to eat better….. I set up an appointment for this Wednesday at the diabetes center so I will officially start my diet then. But some of the preliminary instructions were: no more fruit juice through the rest of the pregnancy, no ice cream and sugary treats, and no fruit before noon. :(

No comments: