Monday, July 14, 2008

7/10/08-7/13/08

7/10/08 – This morning we tried the potty chair again right when he woke up and he did it again! Then he wanted to dump the potty in the toilet himself, so I let him. I think I will try this every night and morning for now so he gets used to the whole potty chair idea. For breakfast I was craving a hamburger – so a hamburger it was….. Lijah had some strawberries, but wouldn't eat them. So I took one and put it in his little matchbox car dump truck and pushed it over to him – and then he ate them all, as long as they were delivered via the dump truck. My foot stopped hurting so bad today and I can finally walk again without limping or cringing from the pain. While I was at work a thunderstorm rolled through and it got very dark and the building shook. I love thunderstorms while I am at work – although I don't have much of a view anymore since there is a building directly across the street and I am only on the 8th floor. In my old building I was on the 18th floor and had a great view of the skyline and clouds rolling in. But the benefit of where I am now is that I don't stare out the window all day longing to be out there rather than at work…..I can just work and be happy with where I am at. There is a new site online called the Northeast Beat which is a social networking site for those living in NE Minneapolis. I found a few people who live on my block – hopefully I will be able to get to know them a bit better now. It cooled down a lot after the storm so since it was cool and I could walk again we went for a walk with our neighbor Margaret. On the way out Lijah stopped for a dip in the pool so he had somewhat wet pants during the walk, but he seemed fine with that. Now every time I am in the bathroom Lijah grabs his shorts because he wants to take them off and use his potty chair too. I am surprised that he is getting so into this so quickly….but I guess he is ready, so we'll follow his lead on it. It stormed again in the middle of the night, and I woke up hungry so I got some chocolate soymilk at about 2am. I have been having such terrible leg cramps every night and it is driving me crazy!


7/11/08 – This morning I noticed that my squash plants had bloomed – there are huge yellow flowers everywhere in my garden – they are beautiful! Hopefully we will actually get some zucchini or summer squash! Jason decided that he would be leaving for Duluth tonight rather than tomorrow morning. He is going up to go fishing and hang out with his dad. So I quickly ran to the store to pick up a few things for when he is gone and off he went. It was sure humid out today – good thing I only had to deal with it during the walk to the car and on the way to the store. Otherwise I stayed in the air conditioning almost all day and all night. Lijah and I went outside for a few minutes to find a few rocks for our upcoming moon rocks craft project. While we were out there the neighbors little dog was running in our yard so Lijah got to pet it for awhile. It's too bad that when we went inside this led to a temper tantrum because he wanted to be back outside with the dog. He also had a tantrum earlier because I would not let him play with the blinds on the front window….. There was a big storm headed our way that was going to cool the weather and get rid of the humidity so we waited for that. Once it hit we shut off the lights and watched the news talking about the storm. We tried turning the TV off and just watch the storm but Lijah didn't like it so we turned the TV back on. On the news they warned that if anyone is thinking of heading up to Duluth they should wait because the storm is terrible all the way up 35W. Shortly after Jason called wondering what was going on because he was in the worst storm he had ever seen and lightning had struck the road just behind him….. Lijah enjoyed hearing the thunder and watching the lightning though and gasped every time either happened. Overall, the storm was pretty lame in our area – I was hoping for something much scarier! Tonight I started on my insulin again. I was so scared to stick that needle in me and I prayed and prayed for help. Finally I did it, and it was nothing. I didn't even feel it. Then I remembered that last time it was the same thing – I was freaked out at first, but then when I actually did it I realized that it didn't hurt at all.


7/12/08 – We set up a photo shoot for the Gaulke's today to take some photos of their new baby Edward. Since I was without a car I had them come over to my house. I also thought that the lighting would be better – but it turned out to be not so great lighting…but the shoot went well. Thankfully the whole family came so there was someone to distract Lijah while I was taking pictures because at first he wanted to sit on my lap while I was trying to take them. During the shoot Edward was crying and Lijah decided he wanted to hold the baby like he holds the cat. I was surprised when Rachel let him hold Edward all by himself – I don't think I would have been so brave! Then we tried to do some family photos outside, but it was so bright out it was really hard to get good shots so we may need to redo those another day. The weather today was beautiful – cool and breezy – it was wonderful. After Lijah's nap we went down to a Carnival at the nursing home down the street. In the backyard they had a few games set up. Lijah played the duck pond game first. There were 10 ducks, each with a number on the bottom. We had to choose a number, then we had 3 tried to pick the duck with that number on the bottom. Lijah found it on the 3rd try and won a little plastic whistle. Then we did some spin art and Lijah dropped the pain onto the paper with just a little help from me. He really enjoyed his finished painting! The carnival was pretty lame and there were too many old folks outside smoking cigarettes so we got a good dose of nicotine while we were there – but Lijah enjoyed the few games he played there. The rest of the day we hung out in the backyard by the pool and I got a lot of pictures of him playing. Lijah wanted to watch one of his videos so he went on the porch and dragged his car seat into the living room and put it in front of the DVD player so he could reach it (he's sneaky…..). Jason decided to come home tonight instead of tomorrow so just as I was going to bed he came home.


7/13/08 – Lijah was pretty good at church today, but had one tantrum. He was laying on the floor under the pews with his crayons and I noticed that he was lifting a crayon up to draw on the bottom of the seat. I pulled him up and he did not want to move so he flailed around, bumping his head on the seat, and started wailing. So I took him out to the foyer where he screamed, and cried, and flailed around. Everyone thought it was because he bumped his head, but I knew better. Then everyone was worried and wanted to make sure his head was ok – but he wasn't even crying because of his head – that was the funny part. Lijah has been demanding that I carry him during church and will not walk in the building by himself, but today he did it! He walked in and to the seats, and even picked out the place where he wanted to sit. After church I let him hold my keys and he ran out of the nursery, right to the back doors, and straight to the car. After Lijah's nap we made our moon rock craft project with the rocks we had gathered earlier in the weekend. We each picked a rock and decorated it (Jason, Lijah, and I). We used finger paints, colored sand, sequins, googly eyes, paint, and yarn. Because of the googly eyes our moon rocks look a bit more like a monster rock family – but they could be monsters from the moon so we will keep the title of moon rocks for our project. Then we went and played some more in the pool and picked some broccoli and beans from the garden. We ended the night by watching Microcosmos and Lijah loved watching all of the bugs. This weekend I drank WAY to much soda! But the Minneapolis water right now smells like lake water so it has been hard to drink it unless I am plugging my nose. The City of Mpls says that it is safe to drink and they are working on removing the smell. Hopefully that happens really soon!

No comments: