7/22/08 – When Lijah work up from his nap today Jason called because he was crying uncontrollably, pointing to his leg, and hobbling around. Jason hadn't left to come pick me up yet because of this so I took a bus home instead. We think that his leg fell asleep because he eventually stopped crying about it. A few weeks ago I read in neighborhood forum where someone said that 9 out of 10 bus riders would not give up their seat for a pregnant woman. I thought 'naaahhh, people are nicer than that". Well, today I was especially worn out, Clark was kicking me and making it uncomfortable to walk, and I was SO happy when I got on the bus and was able to finally sit down. A few stops later an old woman got on the bus and there were no seats. She turned to me and told me that she needed to sit down. I gladly got up because it seemed that she was really in need of a seat (she was old and had a huge scar on her knee). When I stood up and she saw that I was pregnant she felt really bad and apologized over and over. I had expected that someone else would notice my huge belly sticking out and offer me their seat (at this point I REALLY needed a seat). But, no. Instead, everyone just stared at me. Once I realized that no one was getting up I thought I might try to look extra pathetic, just to see what people would do – but still, no one got up. So I accepted my fate and stood….. I was amazed that most of the people sitting right next to where I was standing, the people who I saw looking at me the whole time I was standing there, were people who only had five or six stops before they got off the bus. Not to be all self-pitying, but it would really have been a minor inconvenience for them to stand for just a few blocks for someone in need. I generally like to think that people are overall good people deep down – but this made me rethink that a bit, unfortunately. About ¾ of the way home the bus thinned out a bit and I finally got a seat….. When I got home Lijah was playing on the porch and he didn't notice me standing on the steps – so I rang the doorbell, which is one of his new favorite things to do. He was super excited to see me and we just hung out and played the rest of the night.
Wednesday 7/23/08 – I had to work at 8am this morning because of an early morning training. I did not like how rushed I was in the morning – my blood sugars skyrocketed after breakfast as well, probably because I was so stressed about getting to work on time….. Today was also our company picnic on Nicollet Island on the river. This year was much more fun than previous years. This year they had lunch (as normal) but then they had carnival games and bingo inside, a Velcro wall, human foosball, the Capella Spirit Band, and a fundraiser where 4 guys from Capella shaved their heads to raise money for a fellow co-worker with brain cancer. As Cherie and I were driving over to the picnic one of my contacts rolled back into my eye socket and it took me forever to get it out. Then when I did I had to put it back in my eye with no saline solution. So mu eye was irritated and hurt during the whole picnic. It started at noon and Cherie and I left just after 2pm. We normally don't stay for the whole thing….. Lijah was sleeping when I got home so I took the opportunity to go grocery shopping by myself. I found two new pairs of shoes for Lijah on the clearance rack – for only $3.74 each (normally $15)! When Lijah woke up he was very excited about them. One pair is black with Velcro straps and the others are grey and black with a big car on the side (HotWheels). We decided to make some more crafts tonight. With construction paper, glitter glue, and crayons we made a yellow car with orange wheels and a brown butterfly with a black body (Lijah chose the colors himself).
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment