Wednesday, September 3, 2008

8/27/08-9/2/08

Wednesday 8/27/08 – I got an email yesterday from my diabetes doctor saying that my blood glucose numbers were all looking good (I have been testing them 4x a day) and that I could cut back on my testing if I wanted. Now I only have to test in the morning when I am fasting every other day, after breakfast and after lunch 2 times a week, and after dinner 3-4 times per week. That seems a bit more complicated so I will probably just test more regularly, but it was good news because things are more under control than they were with the first pregnancy. I also am not having to deprive myself as much this time and can handle some sweets in the afternoon (yay!). After work we made tomato sauce with all of the tomatoes that had ripened on our plants. Margaret also came over to get her mail and we chatted for a bit (she was out of town for a bit so we gathered her mail for her). She found out that our other neighbor Roy found out that he has brain and lung cancer and has started radiation.

Thursday 8/28/08 – This morning the city came to finish cutting down a tree at the end of our block. After I got dressed and ate breakfast I brought Lijah down to the end of the road to watch them. There were two semi's with trailers, a digger-type truck, and a few other trucks. Lijah loved watching the crane and scoop pick up the big branches on the road and put them into the trailer. One of the workers came close to us and asked Lijah if he liked all of the trucks and told us that they were cutting down another one 4 blocks up the road if we wanted to watch. We couldn't because I had to go to work, but thought it was nice to let us know. Lijah was really good about holding my hand the whole time (he has had a habit of running away down the sidewalk lately). Today while I was at work Lijah was jumping on the couch and cracked his head on the back of the couch pretty hard. He now has a big bruise and lump right in the middle of his forehead. After work we didn't do much…..

Friday 8/29/08
– Jason woke up feeling sick but I had a few meetings at work in the morning so I had to go in. After the meetings I went to speak with my director about the situation. I had already put in my time for the week on my timesheet and wasn't sure how to work using PTO since that was already done. He advised me to not worry about it and just go. This would have never happened in my old department, but my director is a really nice family-guy – I'm happy that I work for him (hopefully when my new manager is hired he/she will be just as good to work for). So I left work at noon, went over to the bookstore on the way to catch my bus to look for a baby book, and I found one that I like well enough (I don't think I would ever find the perfect baby book unless I made one myself). Of course, I also picked up a few puzzle books….. When I got home it was Lijah's naptime so I put him down. During his nap I ran up to Once Upon A Child to look for a few things: a baby bouncer seat and an exersaucer. I found an exersaucer for $35 that is really cool and found a few new pairs of pants for Lijah. After Lijah's nap we ran up to Target for some groceries.

Saturday 8/30/08 – This morning we went up to the thrift store and found some cool stuff: a sit-n-spin just like the one Lijah loves in the nursery at church, a small lamp with space shuttles and planets (the paper kind that spins around from the heat of the light bulb), a few new books for Lijah, a bunch of Family Fun magazines, and some scented markers. After the thrift store we went to a park off of 33rd and Silver Lake Road. I went to this park when Lijah was a baby and remember wanting to go back. It was the best park that we had been to yet and had a lot of things Lijah liked to play on. They are doing major construction on Silver Lake Road so we were able to look at all the diggers and bulldozers as well. During Lijah's nap I also took a nap and then when we got up it was time to go to the church Corn Feed at Central Park in Roseville. We joined up with the St Paul Ward and had corn on the cob and a pot luck. I had intended to make something for the potluck during Lijah's nap, but that didn't work out so well since I was sleeping. There was a huge playground and Lijah got dirtier and sweatier than I have ever seen him (a sure sign of a good time). We also got to hang out with many of our friends, and talk to some people we usually don't get a chance to talk with at church. I started feeling pretty sick while we were at the park – it is getting harder and harder to walk, sit, stand, and do just about anything every day. We didn't get home until just about bedtime for Lijah and by that time it was too late for a bath so I gave him a washcloth bath the best I could and put him to bed.

Sunday 8/31/08 – I woke up feeling horrible this morning so I stayed home from church. But I got up to get Lijah dressed and ready to go with Jason. While they were gone I laid in bed and looked through my new Family Fun magazines and then slept for 2 hours. It is much different taking a nap when noone is in the house. When I nap during Lijah's naps there is always the possibility he will wake up so it is never a true worry free nap. But this nap was great! Not that I felt much better when I woke up though….. When they got home Jason said that Lijah was a perfect little boy during church (figures, he is always better-mannered around dad).

Monday 9/1/08 – Today is Labor Day so I had the day off of work. There was a garage sale down the street so Lijah and I got out the wagon and went for a walk. But first we thought we might visit someone from church that lives in the nursing home down the street (I wasn't so sure I would have energy left after the garage sale so I thought I should go visiting first). I hadn't met this woman before but when I saw her she looked familiar - the nursing home takes people out for walks every day and they pass right by my house, and she (Susan Gilman) is one of the ladies that always walks by and waves at Lijah and I when we are on our porch. It was nice to get to know her – we will have to visit more often. Then we headed to the garage sale but didn't find anything. The sale was right down the block from the park and I needed a break from walking so I thought Lijah might like playing some more. When it was time to leave I was surprised that Lijah gladly hopped in the wagon and let me pull him away. He even waved and said bye to the park – impressive. I was in no shape to carry him home so I was very grateful that he was so cooperative.

Tuesday 9/2/08 – Today is by far the worst pain day of this pregnancy – right when I left work it felt like my back went out and it was all downhill from there. At least I have a max of 3 weeks left until I am done! Lijah is starting to talk more and more lately. His new favorite things to say are:

1. Tryyyyy (He says this in a really whiny voice when he wants to try something – when we were at my dad's house when they were playing with the dragonfly the kids all kept saying they wanted to 'try' and Lijah picked up on that. So now every time I am doing something he follows me whining 'tryyyyyy').

2. No waaan (I don't want to)

3. Kitty goooo (When he is trying to make the kitty go somewhere)

4. Eeeeeeat (He says this while pointing to the kitchen. I recently found out that this is a trick. He's not really hungry, he just saw the kitty go in the kitchen or knows there is something in the kitchen he wants to play with. So if he says 'eeeeeaat' in a whiny voice he knows we will think he is hungry and bring him into the kitchen. We've caught onto you kid…..sorry).

5. And still some of his other newer favorites: mine car, no mine car, mailman car, mailman come

On the way home from work I asked Jason if he was still going to paint the nursery tonight and he said that he wasn't and that he was not sure when he would get around to it. I have wanted to get in there and get everything ready so this really annoyed me because he knew that. I had everything set up and ready to go before Lijah decided to rip off the wallpaper. He said he maybe would do it when the baby was born. Being pregnant, I started to get mad. It's hard to keep yourself in check when you have raging pregnancy hormones – but I managed to keep it in check. I figured it would all work out. When we got home I went upstairs to change clothes and Jason showed me that the nursery was all done and painted. That joker – you would think that he would have learned by now that joking around like that is never really safe with an 8 month pregnant woman. I'm excited to get in there tomorrow and clean up the wallpaper mess on the floor and get everything back in order – that is, if my back will cooperate with me and give me a break from the pain.

No comments: