Monday 5/4/09 – Tonight we were going to go to the store after work but our plans got derailed a bit. Jason called me at work and told me to come downstairs (he calls to say this every day when he gets onto Washington from the freeway). I went downstairs and waited…..and waited…..and waited. When I realized that even in bumper to bumper traffic it could not have taken him this long to get to me I started to worry a bit. I thought maybe the car broke down, or maybe a crazy driver came out of nowhere and hit them. I didn't have a phone with me so all I could do was sit and wait. Luckily I had a magazine with me so I read that, from cover to cover. The I heard a car honking, and it was Jason, btu he was on the wrong street. So I went running to where he was and hopped in. On Washington the cars were not moving at all so he thought he'd try to take an alternate route, which just made things worse. In the end, he was 45 minutes late, but the boys were just fine. Right up until we got a few blocks from home, and then Clark started crying. We stopped in to get the sling before going to the store, but Clark wasn't happy about getting back in the car. So we stayed home and I gave Jason a list of what I wanted over the phone. While Jason and Lijah were gone I made some curry tomato potatoes and squash banana bread. I let Clark play with a metal bowl and a wooden spoon. When Lijah got home he decided he wanted to play with the bowl too. He started filling it with cars, then he started stirring it, and told us that he was making a "recipe". So we all took turns tasting spoonfuls of Lijah's delicious "recipe". I took the boys out on the front steps just before bedtime to enjoy the nice weather and breeze. Suddenly I noticed that there sure were a lot of things moving around on the ground. I took a closer look and they were carpenter ants!!!! They will not go away! I found an ant hill in the lawn the other day and now I think that there is a nest in our yard and the nest in the bathroom was a satellite nest from that one. I went and got the yummy honeydew death syrup and put it on the front steps and they all came and ate it up. Hopefully they brought it back to the nest and shared it with their entire little ant colony too. But I put it on the concrete and it soaked in by morning so they cannot continue to eat it. We do have some granules to put around the perimeter of the house and we will do that this week. If I can't kill all the carpenter ants in the world, maybe at least I can put a buffer around my house so they will stay away. I forgot to mention something funny Lijah said on Sunday morning. I got out his church clothes in the morning and he said "no church", and as usual I told him about how much fun he has each week in the nursery and about how he would have a good time. Then he said "no mom church….mom work", and I said "You want mommy to go to work instead of church, why?", to which he replied….."To get the money…..for the piggy bank". The other day when I got in the car after work I gave him a few pennies and a quarter, and that made his obsession with money even greater. We'll see where this obsession goes…..it should make for some funny quotes.
Tuesday 5/5/09 – While at work I called Jason and he sounded miserable when he answered it. He said that he had a headache and that Clark had just pooped his diaper and while he was cleaning it he pooped more and it got all over him and the couch so then he had to clean the couch. Then it was time for Clark to take a nap so he had to go rock Clark upstairs, and he hadn't even had a chance to clean the poop off of himself. He was having a rough time so I decided to take a bus home as soon as my meetings were over at work. Then I took the boys to WalMart to get the 4GB memory cards they had on sale for $12, which of course they were sold out of. So then we stopped by the library to get some new videos and books. My friend Pamela Rust who moved to Oregon a few years ago recently bought a Louis L'Amour book for her dad so I decided to try it out for myself and reserved one at the library. After the kids were in bed I hopped in the bath and read some of the short stories and found them to be pretty good so far. I also cut my own hair tonight. I started by putting it in a ponytail on top of my head and chopping off the end, then I started cutting randomly. I hope it turns out alright. I really won't know until I get it wet in the shower tomorrow.
Wednesday 5/6/09 – At work they requested that each of us work from home at least once this week so today I chose to work from home. Because of this whole swine flu thing, they want to make sure everyone can work from home, just in case….. I spent half of the day in Clark's room in the recliner with the window open, and the other half in my room lying on my bed. I actually got a lot more done at home than I ever do in the office. It was nice to be able to take a break and play with the kids, and have Lijah lay in bed with me while I worked. It rained a bit after work and a beautiful double rainbow came out. Then Margaret and Karen went outside to look at it as well (our neighbors). I brought Lijah and Clark outside and Lijah decided it would be a good time to test me and run off down the sidewalk. I had to run after him with Clark in my arms…I was pretty mad. Then Jason gave him a time out when we got back in the house.
Thursday 5/7/09 – This morning I biked into work and it was the fastest ride yet – it only took me about 25 minutes (versus the 35 it took the last two times).
Friday 5/8/09 – Today I took the day off of work so Jason could take Lijah somewhere fun. In the morning while Clark was napping, Lijah and I went out and planted some more flower seeds in the front garden. Lijah had his own shovel to dig holes for the seeds, but he seemed to be having more fun digging up all of the other dirt in the garden. Then when Jason got up he took Lijah to the Como Zoo. I think Lijah enjoyed the giraffe's the best because he told me all about them when he got home. Then Clark and I went out to Trader Joes. I also stopped at Old Navy while we were out. While we were in the dressing room Clark was standing up looking at himself in the mirror and fell down. He hit his head on the ground and started wailing. I'm sure the whole store could hear him, but he finally settled down. We got all kinds of stuff at Trader Joe's. Now that we have a freezer chest I was able to buy extra everything!
Saturday 5/9/09 – This morning we went to the library and Lijah insisted on carrying my book bag. Lijah wanted to bring the swan puppet home again but I talked him into getting the elephant puppet instead. Since he had the book bag he just started piling books in it, so we got more books than usual for him. Then we headed over to the Indian grocery store to get some spices. A few minutes after we got in there Lijah was excited and was running down an aisle. He tripped and fell right on a toy car he was carrying in his hand. The car cut his gum open over his tooth and blood was everywhere in his mouth. Good thing I had some baby wipes with me and was able to clean him up without him seeing all of the blood. One thing I have learned is that if the kid sees blood, they will freak out, but if they don't see blood and you tell them it's ok, they will calm down. He was wailing at the top of his lungs though and everyone in the store could hear him. The Indian guys running the store came over one by one and offered Lijah candy so he would stop crying. Once he was done crying he ate up all the candy and was back to his normal self. I was excited to find that they had the pre-packaged foil pouches that I usually get at Target. They were between $1-2 at the Indian store and at Target they are usually between $3-4. It took us awhile to get through the store since I didn't know what anything was. But we ended up getting some coconut cookies, a mango bar, biscuits, some nut ball treats, jaggery flour treats, a bunch of the prepackaged foil pouch foods, cumin, garam masala,and some noodle dinners (like Raman noodles). Lijah was a bit overwhelmed and wanted to get everything, especially when it was time to go.
Sunday 5/10/09 – Jason wasn't feeling well when he woke up so I brought the boys to church myself. Lijah was good during the first hour but then would not go to the nursery with his friends after that. There were substitute teachers and it was a bit crazy and I can't blame him….. The men took over all of the classes for the women since it was Mother's Day. We were going to have to leave early to go to Jason's mom's house anyways so we decided to just go home since Lijah would not go to his class. Jason and Dan made us dinner. They made ham, corn, potatoes, salad, bread, and Jason ran to the store last night to pick up a Celebration Roast. He was going to get a Tofurkey but they did not have them. The Celebration Roast is similar to a Tofurkey, and it sure was tasty. After dinner I was able to go run around in the back yard with Lijah while Jason hung out with Clark. It was nice to be baby free for awhile!
Monday 5/11/09 – Biked to work today (in a skirt!).
Tuesday 5/12/09 – While I was putting Clark to bed Lijah was hanging out in my room. I heard a spraying sound and told him he better stop doing whatever he was doing. Clark was almost asleep and I knew that if I went to go take away Lijah's fun Clark would wake up. But then he sprayed it again and I realized that he had my Static Guard so I went in and grabbed it from him. Then when Clark was asleep Lijah continued to be naughty and tried to hit me so I decided that he would just have to go to bed a bit early and not have any ice cream.
Wednesday 5/12/09 – After work Trish Howard came over to look through some baby clothes. I started with 6 boxes, then my neighbor Amy took some, then I had 4 boxes and a bag, and when Trish was done I have just 3 boxes left! I cannot wait until they are gone and I don't have to store them anymore. I talked to my dad on the way home from work and hopefully he will be coming down soon – I can't wait to see all of them again. It's been too long. Dad told me that Johnny is having another baby, due in September. They just had their first baby, Jasmine, last August!
Thursday 5/13/09 – Biked into work today and boy was it windy! It was a pretty tough ride.
Friday 5/14/09 – Today it was supposed to rain right when I was getting off work so I didn't bike in. Every day it says it is going to rain it doesn't, but I figured that if I take a chance on it this time, it would rain - but it didn't – so I was pretty disappointed that I didn't ride. After work some of our neighbors (Dan Haugen and Amy Softich) had a barbecue so Jason, the kids and I headed over. Some of the neighbors we had met before, and some we hadn't. Lijah played in the backyard almost the entire time and had a great time once he got warmed up to being there. On the way home Lijah ran ahead of us, and then he took off. I gave Jason the baby and ran after him. He went all the way to the end of the street, turned the corner, and ran out of view. I was pretty scared, but Lijah thought it was hilarious. That is, until I dragged him back to daddy and he got a time out and a bunch of toys taken away. He now needs to stay within 5 feet of us at all times (outside, not in the house) until he can learn not to run away. Before bed Jason and I were in the kitchen and the boys were in the living room. We heard a big crash, followed by two boys crying, and ran in to see what had happened. Lijah had pulled on Eeek Surprises cage and pulled it down, hitting himself on the head and barely missing Clark. Poor Eeek was in an upside down cage trying to figure out what had happened and Clark was more scared from the shock and then he wanted to get into all of the bedding and hay strewn all over the floor. We decided that it was bedtime for everyone after that and went upstairs (after putting Eeek's cage back in order, of course). Lijah cried the whole way up saying he was sorry. I think he really did feel bad about it.
Saturday 5/15/09 – Went to a few garage sales, to the library, and to the thrift store today. I had lost a library book and was charged the lot fine of $20. I had to pay it since I wanted to take out more books. But then this past week Jason found the book (which, by the way, only cost $7.95 new) so I thought I'd bring it back to see if I could get my money back. But no, the book is mine. I wish it at least was a book I enjoyed, but it was one of those that I flipped through and didn't like – darn! I got to take a short 30 minute nap while the boys slept and then was off to Target with Clark. We picked up a My Little Pony and a recorder for Lijah's friend Astrid, who is having a birthday party on Monday. When Lijah woke up we went in the backyard and planted some seeds I harvested from last years plants. I also had dried some bell pepper seeds and planted them to see if anything comes up. The Robison's (Nathan and Becca) and our family signed up for a CSA with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Farm this year so I will have plenty of vegetables. So I am going to grow some stuff for fun to see what happens rather than grow a bunch of veggies because I want to eat them. If they work out, great. While Jason was bringing out the portable crib to the backyard he sliced his hand open on the sink. A part of it apparently had just cracked and there was a razor sharp piece sticking out. When he went to see what it was he also cut his other hand. There was a lot of blood, but thankfully it wasn't too deep.
Sunday 5/16/09 – Last night Clark got up at 11pm and I brought him to bed with me. Then he got up at 3am and would not fall back asleep. So I put him in his crib, as I have done before, to let him hang out and fall asleep. After 30 minutes of crying I went in and got him and he was a bit tired from all of that crying. But he would not sleep next to me in bed, he would only sleep on top of me. I think we finally fell asleep at 4am. Then he woke up just after 6am ready for the day. It was not a good night. Today I gave a lesson at church on the spiritual gifts of healing, tongues, prophecy, and the discerning of spirits. I was a bit disappointed that I ran out of time at the end because I had a lot of good things to share, but I'll have to save those for another day. I probably should have taken a nap with the boys, but instead I went outside to putter in the backyard. I pulled up some random ferns and lily of the valley, and then filled in the mole holes with some dirt so Lijah does not fall in one and get eaten by a mole this summer. Jason brought the missionaries and an investigator to a fireside meeting in Bloomington. While he was gone Lijah and I made a 'piggy bank' from an old baby formula can. I spray painted it black, then we glued some string and glitter to the outside, and cut a hole in the top. Lijah also got to cut paper and make a big mess at the kitchen table. Clark watched us in his little monkey chair at the table while he ate some baby puffs. Then we had ice cream and went to bed.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment